Ergothioneine (thiotaine) EGT is a multi-functional amino acid for Anti-Aging preparations with excellent dermatological acceptance. This substance, produced naturally in the body and evident as OCTN-1 transporter in dermal fibroblasts, is an extremely stable colorless and odorless antioxidant. It is clearly superior to ubiquinone (Coenzyme Q10) as a radical interceptor. Thitaine is similar to L-Carnitine and thus also a very good skin energizer.
Thitaine is anti-inflammatory, protects against the loss of collagen and elastin by inhibiting the UVA-induced generation of stress factors such as MMP-1 (matrix metalloproteinases, directly destroying collagen). It also acts as an elastase inhibitor through the protective function of the qAP-1 enzyme and prevents UV-A induced direct damage to the DNA.
Active ingredients (or INCI)
What are the cosmetic benefits of ergothioneine?
- Ergothioneine is a natural antioxidant found in many tissues, including the skin. The effectiveness against free radicals is comparable with vitamin C's antioxidant effect.
- Thiotaine's structure is similar to essential Carnitine (ingredient frequently used in body contouring and anticellulite formulas), which naturally transfers fatty acids into mitochondria for energy production. Thiotaine also transfers fatty acids, boosts ATP (energy) production, fat metabolism, and revitalizes skin cells.
- This amino acid also inhibits collagen destructing enzyme called MMP-1, preserving those structural fibers and improving skin's firmness and elasticity.
- EGT inhibits tyrosinase, a key enzyme in melanin production, resulting in skin whitening and eliminating hyperpigmentation and dark spots.
- It's also a potent chelator agent similar to Kojic acid that connects with heavy metal ions, guarding the skin against harmful effects.
It's a perfect ingredient for anti-aging formulations that fight against many factors of dermal maturation.