The blood orange tree (Citrus Aurantium Dulcis) is an evergreen tree belonging to the Rutaceae family. Originally from Asia, it was introduced to the Mediterranean countries by the Arabs.
Its fruit, the orange, comes in varieties of various sizes, colors, and tastes, the blood orange being precisely the richest in carotenoids and vitamins. Blood Orange Fruit Extract is obtained by expression of the mature fruit, including the epicarp.
Its most important and active contents are:
- Essential oil's main components are limonene, aromatic aldehydes, linalool, linalyl acetate, terpineol, and coumarins.
- Citroflavonoids, especially neohesperidin, naringin, hesperidin, and rutin.
- Vitamins C, A, B; carotenes and carotenoid pigments.
- Organic acids such as citric, malic, and ascorbic give the classic sour taste to oranges.
- Carbohydrates and pectins.
Blood orange extract is a perfect ingredient for skin care applications thanks to its high content of beta-carotene; vitamins C and B; organic acids, the most abundant of which are of the nature of alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs); flavonoids, with high antioxidant power, scavenging free radical and protecting cells; essential oil, with powerful antiseptic and soothing action; carbohydrates and pectins give it moisturizing properties. It is recommended to treat atonic, aged, sensitive, irritated skin or skin with broken capillaries (rosacea, scaly skin, and telangiectasia).
Citrus Aurantium Dulcis Extract vitalizes the skin while treating hyperchromic spots and acting as a depigmenting agent in various formulation types such as gels and creams. It is also helpful in the treatment of acne and hyperkeratosis. In addition, blood orange extract has good protective properties and is used in sun care, post-sun and self-tanning preparations.